Trivandrum University College

Home Milestones
Milestones PDF Print E-mail
Chronological landmarks
Started as Raja’s Free School ( 3-12-1836)
College was established in 1866.
First Principal – Mr. John Ross
First Graduate – Mr. V. Nagamayyah
Affiliation by Madras University in 1877.
Lady students admitted from 1909.
First Indian Principal- A. R. Raja Raja Varma (1915).
Bifurcation into Arts and Science College- 1924.
Gandhiji’s visit to the College- 1925.
Amalgamation of Arts and Science Colleges into one in 1942.
Administration handed over from the University to the Government in 1957.
Civil Services Coaching Centre- 1961.
Centenary Celebration- 1966.
Centre of Excellence in 1990 by Government of Kerala.
M.Phil. started in 12 disciplines in 1994-95.
NAAC Accreditation in 2003.
Dept. of Zoology identified under FIST Programme of DST, Govt. of India in 2003
Identified as College with Potential for Excellence by UGC in 2004.
Identified as suitable for being granted University Status by Govt. of Kerala in 2004.
Dept. of Zoology indentified under SARD   facility of KSCSTE, Govt. of Kerala in 2006.
Dept. of Geology identified under FIST Programme of DST, Govt. of India in 2007.
UGC granted BSR scheme for Science Departments of CPE College in 2008.
Dept of Physics & Chemistry identified under FIST Programme of DST, Govt. of India in 2009.
NAAC Re-accreditation in 2010.
College with Potential for Excellance status continued in the XI plan of UGC in 2010