||BSc-Botany, MSc- Genetics and Plant breeding, UGC-JRF NET, UGC-SRF, Ph.D. in Biotechnology, Diploma in German
|Field of Research
||Host pathogen interaction, Recombinant protein expresssion, Mitochondrial metabolism
|| h index 5
|Patents, Awards & Honours
- Pillai, M. R., Babu, M. S., Sobhan, P. K., Krishnan, A., Seervi, M., & Nair, R. S. (2019). U.S. Patent No. 10,466,244. Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- UGC sponsored Raman Post Doctoral fellow for 12 months (2016 Sept -2017 Sept) at The Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN- 46202, United States of America.
- National Internship sponsored by FLAIR (A new initiative by Directorate of collegiate education and Department of Higher Education) in IIT Powai, Mumbai on Advances in Proteomics and a hands on Workshop (2013).
- International Internship sponsored by FLAIR (A new initiative by Directorate of collegiate education and Department of Higher Education) in United Kingdom at University of Hull (2012).
- Led a team of five research scholars in the Competition BEST (Biotechnology Entreupreneurship Student Team) in 2008 conducted by ABLE (Association for Biotechnology Led Enterprises), Bangalore India. Came within the top six teams for the idea “CML Sure: A chemi immunochromatographic lateral flow strip for detection of bcr-abl and drug sensitivity in Chronic myeloid Leukemia patients”.
- Winner of Prof.A.Abraham Gold Medal for securing the highest percentage of marks in M.Sc. degree examination in Genetics and Plant Breeding for the year 2003.
||PI TARE SERB project on Overcoming drug resistance in cancer cell lines (2020-2023) Rs 18 Lakhs
- TOXIC EFFECT OF MALATHION ON THE FRESH WATER COMMON CARP CATLA CATLA.V.S. Binitha, M.S. Smina, A.P. Ajay kumar and Mani Shankar Babu,J. Adv. Zool. 2018: 39(2) : 108-112 ISSN-0253-7214.
- Shankar Babu, M., Mahanta, S., Lakhter, A. J., Hato, T., Paul, S., & Naidu, S. R. (2018). Lapachol inhibits glycolysis in cancer cells by targeting pyruvate kinase M2. PloS one, 13(2), e0191419.(Impact Factor- 2.87).
- Anti-inflammatory effect of curcumin involves downregulation of MMP-9 in blood mononuclear cells
International Immunopharmacology, Volume 7, Issue 13, 15 December 2007, Pages 1659-1667. K.Saja, Mani Shankar Babu, D. Karunagaran, P.R. Sudhakaran. (Impact Factor- 2.3).
- Genistein induces apoptosis in ovarian cancer cells via different molecular pathways depending on Breast Cancer Susceptibility gene-1 (BRCA1) status. European Journal of Pharmacology, Volume 588, Issues 2-3, 7 July 2008, Pages 158-164 Karedath Abdul Aziz Thasni, Gopakumaran Rojini, S. Nair Rakesh, Thankappan Ratheeshkumar, Mani Shankar Babu, Gopala Srinivas, Asoke Banerji, Priya Srinivas. (Impact Factor- 2.576).
- Biophysical evaluation of two red-shifted hypocrellin B derivatives as novel PDT agents
Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology, Volume 94, Issue 1, 9 January 2009, Pages 38-44.Bibbin T. Paul, Mani.S.Babu , Thankayyan R. Santhoshkumar, Devarajan Karunagaran, Govindan S. Selvam, Kevin Brown, Thomas Woo, Sanjay Sharma, Selvaraj Naicker, Ramachandran Murugesan. (Impact Factor- 2.1).
- Quercetin attenuates Monocyte Chemoattractant Protein-1 gene expression in glucose primed aortic endothelial cells through NF-κB and AP-1 Pharmacological Research, Volume 62, Issue 4, October 2010, Pages 328-336.Sumith Retnamma Panicker, Prethish Sreenivas, Mani Sankar Babu, Devarajan Karunagaran, Chandrasekharan Cheranellore Kartha. (Impact Factor- 3.929)
|Books / Chapters Published
|| See detailed biodata
|Research Guideship Details
Research supervisor in Botany, 418/2020/UOK (05/02/2020). Research Centre: University college, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
- ID-21597, ARSHIDHA SAFRIN A , Full Time. Title of research work : ‘Effect of Piriformospora indica on host-pathogen interaction between Musa paradisiaca L. var Nendran and root nematode”
||Botany, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, Immunology, Molecular Biology, Biophysics, Plant Breeding, Research Methodology, Microtechnique
|Academic Responsibilities Undertaken
||Member, Board of Studies Microbiology, University of Kerala
|Seminars / Workshops Organized
||Co ordinator – International workshop on Basic Tools and Techniques in Molecular Biology December 17, 18, 19, 2018. Supported by Directorate of Collegiate Education, Government of Kerala.
|Membership in Academic & Professional Bodies
||Member, New York Academy of Sciences
|Assigned Office Charges
||Member, Examination Committee
||USA, UK, Canada
|See Detailed Biodata